About & Directions
At Camp McDowell, we show the way the world could be through worship, learning, rest and play in the beauty of God's Backyard.
Camp McDowell is the camp and conference center of the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama. Camp McDowell was established in 1923 and has been at its current location in Nauvoo since 1947. Upon the completion of Bethany Village in 2015, we became the largest Episcopal camp and conference center in the United States, with 775 beds among 1,140 acres. On May 31st of 2017,
McDowell is home several nationally (and some internationally) recognized programs and ministries, including our Summer Camps and Retreats on Clear Creek and Bethany Village, the McDowell Conference Center, the McDowell Environmental Center, the McDowell Farm School, the Alabama Folk School, and the Magnolia Nature Preschool.
Situated on 1,140 acres of fields and forests with miles of trails winding through beautiful sandstone canyons, Camp McDowell is the perfect place to relax and build community with your church family, small group, organization, or business. We can accommodate individuals or groups from 1 - 800. All people and traditions are welcomed with love and joy.
Camp McDowell is located just over an hour northwest of Birmingham, about two hours southwest of Huntsville, two and a half hours northwest of Montgomery, and about two hours east of Columbus and Tupelo, Mississippi. We are found at mile marker 13, north of Jasper, on Highway 195.
105 DeLong Rd.
Nauvoo, AL 35578
From Birmingham & Montgomery
*Due to recent completion of Interstate 22, these directions have changed.
- Take I-65 North in Birmingham.
- Take exit toward I-22, continue on I-22 until exit 63.
- Take exit 63 for AL-269 toward Jasper/Parrish.
- Turn right at second light onto 18th St, then immediately turn left onto 9th Ave.
- Continue straight on AL-195 for approximately 15 miles until mile marker 13, then turn right into Camp McDowell.
- Take I-65 South to Cullman;
- Take U.S. 278 West to Double Springs.
- Take Highway 195 South to Camp McDowell, about 10 miles (at the 13 mile marker).
From The Shoals
- Take Highway 43 South from Florence to Russellville;
- Take 243 from Russellville until that road ends then take Highway 195 South to Double Springs;
- Continue on Highway 195 South, about 10 miles to Camp McDowell (13 mile marker).
- Take Highway 69 North to Jasper.
- Take Highway 195 North to Camp McDowell, about 15 miles (13 mile marker).
Conference Center Staff
Jordan Smith, Office and Reservation Manager, will work with you on your initial set-up of making and securing a reservation.
Jordan Smith, 205-387-1806, ext 100 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stratt Byars, Conference and Retreat Center Director, will work with you before your event to make sure all necessary details are in order and during your event to help ensure that you have a wonderful experience at Camp McDowell.
- 205-387-1806, ext 102