2019-20 Educator Workshops
Growing Roots! Connecting with your Family to Nature and to a Farm
June 4, 2020 10am - June 5, 2020 4pm
Growing Roots is a Family event at Camp McDowell for all ages! These are just some of the amazing things we may do together!
- Learn about Nature and Farming together with your children or grandchildren.
- Wade the streams of Camp McDowell and learn how to get your children excited about nature.
- Discover the unique geology of Alabama by hiking in sandstone canyons with geologists.
- Create art using natural resources.
- Swim and tube the waters of Clear Creek and in our new zero entry pool.
- Awake in the morning and do Farm chores together...milking goats, gathering eggs, feeding farm animals, even picking blueberries to make a cobbler!
- Open your senses to the natural world through hiking and guided journaling.
- Create a lifelong bond with your children by sharing nature with them.
Cost depends on your choice of lodging and includes 4 delicious meals and all instruction. Lodging options that you will choose at registration:
Bethany Lodges (hotel style, includes linens and towels)
Single room and meals - $150
Family Room and meals - $185 and up depending on number in family
Scott House (log cabin, bring your own linens and towels). Scott Cabin option is limited to 5 families.
Family room and meals - $100 and up depending on number in family
For more information about any of these, please contact Maggie Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Growing Roots” in the subject line.
Forest to Farm Workshop!
February 2, 2020 9am - February 3, 2020 4pm
Forest to Farm Workshop
This two-day workshop will be an exploration of ecosystems. We will explore the forests and streams of Camp McDowell. We will hike the canyons and study the geology and hydrology of this amazing jewel of Alabama. We will also take a look at the human impact of agriculture and the ecosystems that surround a farm.
McDowell workshops are an affiliate of AMSTI, so you get continuing education credits for the hours you are learning!
Hotel rooms and delicious food!
The cost of the workshop depends on the lodging you choose. This will include 4 meals, and all instruction!
Single hotel room - $170
Double hotel room - $120
Cabin (bring your own linens) - $80
What a great deal for a full two days of fun and learning! Our numbers are limited so register today!
For more information, contact Maggie Johnston at email@example.com and please put EEAA Day Camp in the subject line.
EEAA Environmental Science Day Camp!!!
March 30, 2020 9am - March 30, 2020 4pm
EEAA Environmental Science Day Camp!
Want to learn some new ideas for your classroom? Want to spend a day outside in Spring exploring the woods, streams, and farm at Camp McDowell? And all this comes with membership in one of the greatest statewide organizations for educators... Environmental Education Association of Alabama (EEAA). You also get CEUs from ALSDE!
Join us for a day of fun and learning at the McDowell Farm School and McDowell Environmental Center (MEC)! This will be a sampler... half a day exploring the canyon and streams of McDowell with the instructors of MEC and half a day on the Farm with our goats, chickens, and Waldo the pig.
The $35 fee includes lunch and the day camp is sponsored by EEAA (Environmental Education Association of Alabama).
Questions? Contact Maggie at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information with "EEAA Environmental Science Day Camp" in the subject line, please.
Building an Inclusive Classroom!
June 22, 2020 9am - June 23, 2020 4pm
You're invited to McDowell Environmental Center for our brand new workshop designed to help you effectively build an inclusive community within your classroom. The key question that will be answered: How do we build inclusion and opportunities for social and emotional learning through intentional choices?
Come learn some effective, strategic, and exciting ways to help strengthen your classroom or team as we build them up and help them grow. This workshop will be extremely interactive, giving you tools here that you can take back with you to make change in every student’s lives.
In this two-day workshop we will:
- Investigate ways to include social and emotional growth in any classroom or organization.
- Learn how to create a place where students can develop their Social Awareness, Relationship Skills, Responsible Decision Making, Self-Awareness and Self-Management.
- Build a classroom that is more successful academically because of the buy-in your students have for you, their community, and their coursework.
McDowell is an AMSTI affiliate, so you will earn continuing education credits at this workshop.
Cost depends on the lodging you choose. Four meals included with delicious food!
Single hotel style room and meals - $120
Double hotel room and meals - $85
Cabin (shared and bring your own linens and towels) - $50
For information on this workshop contact Beth Dille at email@example.com or 205-387-1806 ext 109.