Greetings from Camp McDowell!
On behalf of all the year-round Camp McDowell staff, the Department of Camp McDowell, and the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama, I welcome your prayerful consideration to apply for Summer Staff at Camp McDowell for the 2019 summer season! Camp McDowell is a special and joyful place, where lives are changed and where you can make a difference that can be carried out into the world. If you are interested in applying for a summer job at Camp McDowell, read on...
Staff members have a deep impact in the lives of campers. At Camp McDowell, the expectation is that each summer employee serves as a model of sacramental ministry, fulfilling an example of loving and servant leadership to the campers and to one another. Every position on the Summer Staff must be approached as a ministry to the campers (rising 1st-12th graders), one that requires constant energy, enthusiasm, integrity, patience, and perseverance. We welcome young adults who are seeking to live into their own potential in this way.
If you are interested in applying, please carefully read all the information about the positions and the hiring process below. Please note the changes from previous years. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kathryn Kendrick and Susanna Whitsett
Summer Camp Directors for Camp McDowell
About Summer Staff
Serving as a Camp McDowell Summer Staff member is very fun and very hard. It involves early mornings and late nights, hot days and loud groups, being a leader and being a friend. It is all about teamwork and living as a model of sacramental ministry, where outward and visible actions are a sign of an inward and spiritual grace.
If all the above characteristics of working on Summer Staff were thrown into a pot and stirred for long enough, the result would look a lot like servant leadership--the Summer staff serves campers and families, each other, and the Kingdom of God with grace, patience, and love.
Every staff member is invited and expected to participate fully in the life of the community. This includes program, worship, and afternoon and evening activities. Whatever the job, all staff positions are valued and important parts of the team. The norm is fulfilling one’s specific role…and then some. The whole staff works together attending to the many details that make summer camp happen in the context of Christian community.
Requirements for Hire
- Participation in Summer Staff Interview Day is required. Summer Staff Interview Day will take place at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church on Friday, January 5, 2018. Participation in this day is mandatory. Exceptions will be made on an individual basis. Please plan to arrive at St. Stephen's (3775 Crosshaven Drive, Birmingham AL 35223) by 8:30am, and know that you will likely be busy until 4:00pm.
- Applicants must be out of high school at least one year by May, 2019.
- Staff Training will begin at camp on May 15, 2019. Attendance is mandatory for all staff.
- The last day of summer employment is Tuesday, August 6, 2019.
- All summer staff must complete certifications in CPR and First Aid PRIOR to or during staff training. A list of training dates & locations will be made available to those hired.
- The Water Front Director and Lifeguards must hold a lifeguard certification, as well as Red Cross Professional Rescuer PRIOR to staff training.
- The Adventure and Ropes Director must hold appropriate low & high ropes certifications and first aid certifications.
- The following staff positions are requested to be lifeguard certified prior to staff training: Head Counselor, Summer Camp Manager, Daily Activities Director, Session Activities Director, Adventure and Ropes Director, Music Director.
- It is helpful, though not required, for Cabin Counselors to be lifeguard certified.
- NOTE: Camp McDowell will partially supplement the cost of certification courses.
- A program entitled “Safeguarding God’s Children” - a sexual misconduct prevention training - will be conducted during staff training. An on-line course is required of all hired staff, to be completed prior to training.
- Background checks will be conducted on all hired staff.
- Drug testing may be conducted at the discretion of Camp leaders.
If you are a returning staff, CIT, or volunteer, please DO NOT CREATE A NEW login. All staff applicants will use the same application procedure. Use your previously created login information. If you have forgotten it, please contact Kathryn (email@example.com) to have it reset. Thank you!
Job Descriptions & Requirements
The Summer Staff application will be open from November 16, 2018 through December 18, 2018. To apply, CLICK HERE.