The Summer Staff application will be open from November 11, 2019 through December 31, 2019. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding your application.
Greetings from Camp McDowell!
On behalf of all the year-round Camp McDowell staff, the Department of Camp McDowell, and the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama, I welcome your prayerful consideration to apply for Summer Staff at Camp McDowell for the 2020 summer season! Camp McDowell is a special and joyful place, where lives are changed and where you can make a difference that can be carried out into the world. If you are interested in applying for a summer job at Camp McDowell, read on...
Staff members have a deep impact in the lives of campers. At Camp McDowell, the expectation is that each summer employee serves as a model of sacramental ministry, fulfilling an example of loving and servant leadership to the campers and to one another. Every position on the Summer Staff must be approached as a ministry to the campers (rising 1st-12th graders), one that requires constant energy, enthusiasm, integrity, patience, and perseverance. We welcome young adults who are seeking to live into their own potential in this way.
If you are interested in applying, please carefully read all the information about the positions and the hiring process below. Please note the changes from previous years. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virginia White and Kathryn Kendrick
Summer Camp Coordinator and Summer Camp Director for Camp McDowell
About Summer Staff
Serving as a Camp McDowell Summer Staff member is very fun and very hard. It involves early mornings and late nights, hot days and loud groups, being a leader and being a friend. It is all about teamwork and living as a model of sacramental ministry, where outward and visible actions are a sign of an inward and spiritual grace.
If all the above characteristics of working on Summer Staff were thrown into a pot and stirred for long enough, the result would look a lot like servant leadership--the Summer staff serves campers and families, each other, and the Kingdom of God with grace, patience, and love.
Every staff member is invited and expected to participate fully in the life of the community. This includes program, worship, and afternoon and evening activities. Whatever the job, all staff positions are valued and important parts of the team. The norm is fulfilling one’s specific role…and then some. The whole staff works together attending to the many details that make summer camp happen in the context of Christian community.
Job Descriptions & Requirements
Requirements for Hire
- Participation in Summer Staff Interview Day is required. Summer Staff Interview Day will take place at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church on Friday, January 3, 2020. Participation in this day is mandatory. Exceptions will be made on an individual basis. Please plan to arrive at St. Stephen's (3775 Crosshaven Drive, Birmingham AL 35223) by 8:30am, and know that you will likely be busy until 4:00pm.
- Applicants must be out of high school at least one year by May, 2020.
- Staff Training will begin at camp on May 12, 2020. Attendance is mandatory for all staff.
- The last day of summer employment is Tuesday, August 4, 2020.
- All summer staff must complete certifications in CPR and First Aid PRIOR to staff training. A list of training dates & locations will be made available to those hired.
- All staff, excluding those hired to be on work crew, must be lifeguard certified before arriving to staff training.
- The Adventure and Ropes Director must hold appropriate low & high ropes certifications and first aid certifications.
- NOTE: Camp McDowell will partially supplement the cost of certification courses.
- A program entitled “Safeguarding God’s Children” - a sexual misconduct prevention training - will be conducted during staff training. An on-line course is required of all hired staff, to be completed prior to training.
- Background checks will be conducted on all hired staff.
- Drug testing may be conducted at the discretion of Camp leaders.
If you are a returning staff, CIT, or volunteer, please DO NOT CREATE A NEW login. All staff applicants will use the same application procedure. Use your previously created login information. If you have forgotten it, please contact Kathryn (email@example.com) to have it reset. Thank you!
CIT and Volunteer Information
CITs (counselors in training) are an invaluable component to our summer camp experience. They bring new energy, new ideas, and a helping hand to the permanent summer staff and each session staff. Serving as a CIT is a great way to gain valuable work experience and “try out” being a staff member.
CITs are welcome at Elementary, Middler, and Junior High Camps.
CITs must be high school graduates or a minimum of 18 years old.
CIT applications will close on February 29th.
Once applications are closed and applications are reviewed, selected applicants will be contacted with an offer of sessions in which they may volunteer. These offers will be based off the preferences indicated in the application and the timeliness of their application submission.
Are you familiar with Camp McDowell and enjoy the setting? Then you may be enjoy serving as an adult volunteer at a Summer Camp! There are several opportunities for adult volunteers in all camps including one or a combination of the following roles:
Program Staff member
Arts & Crafts leader
Skilled Support Staff (doctor, EMT, nurse, counselor, teacher, etc.)
Personal Care Assistant
Behind-the-scenes support (set up, administrative, clean-up, etc)
Prayer Partner for a Summer Staff Member
Volunteer Requirements Include:
Application with references
Completion of “Safeguarding God’s Children” sexual-misconduct and abuse prevention online course
Permission to conduct a criminal background check (19 and older)
Strict adherence to all volunteer policies of Camp McDowell and The Diocese of Alabama
Attendance to meetings and or training specific to an event
A great attitude of service and sacramental leadership!
Some camp sessions may be appropriate for families to volunteer together.
If you are interested in serving as a volunteer in a summer camp, please complete a Volunteer Interest Form.
The Summer Staff application will be open from November 11, 2019 through December 31, 2019.